Table of Contents
- 1 Do computer technicians go through your personal stuff?
- 2 What are the things to consider before repairing a damage computer?
- 3 What are 5 safety procedures that you need to perform while working on a computer?
- 4 Do computer repair shops need your password?
- 5 What would happen to a computer if the parts were stolen?
- 6 How long should you build a laptop before replacing it?
Do computer technicians go through your personal stuff?
If your hard drive is not encrypted (Bitlocker for Windows, Filevault for macOS), or if the drive is encrypted, and you have given the repair shop your password, then yes, they can access your data.
What are the things to consider before repairing a damage computer?
Here are the five things you need to consider before taking your computer in for repair.
- Be selective with whom you entrust your device.
- Make sure you have a data backup.
- Remove any personal data before repair, or make sure it is encrypted.
- Keep your software keys.
- Make it as easy as possible to access your device.
Can computer repair shops steal your data?
So, yes, a computer repair facility can steal your data, but is highly unlikely to do so.
What are three 3 important safety considerations technicians should be aware of when repairing personal computer hardware?
Don’t try to repair a device that’s been damaged to this extent, especially if it’s a power supply….Avoid Smoke and Smells
- Stop what you’re doing.
- Unplug the computer from the wall. Don’t wait for the computer to shut down.
- Allow the PC to cool or discharge unplugged for at least 5 minutes.
What are 5 safety procedures that you need to perform while working on a computer?
Computer Safety Tips
- Keep It Locked. Although this might seem obvious, many people think since they live in a safe town, things like stolen computers don’t happen – until they do.
- Always Use a Password.
- Use a Self-Contained Alarm.
- Engage a Fingerprint Lock.
- Use Laptop Tracking.
- Set Up Firewalls.
- Use Screen Guards.
- Make Backups.
Do computer repair shops need your password?
Most computer technicians will ask you for your login password when they take your device for repairs. In such cases, there is no need to give your password to him. If he wants to test the device, he can simply boot till your Windows login screen, and that should be good enough.
How do I know if my laptop needs a new hard drive?
Common signs for a failing hard drive include sluggish performance, unusual noises (clicking or loud component sounds), and an increase number of corrupted files. These are textbook symptoms for the inevitably of a failing hard drive and action should be taken quickly to save your files from being lost.
How do I know what hard drive is in my laptop?
Finding Your Laptop Hard Drive Information with Your Computer
- Click “Start” and navigate to the control panel.
- Select “Systems and Maintenance.”
- Click the “Device Manager,” then “Disk Drives.” You can get detailed information about your hard drive on this screen, including your serial number.
What would happen to a computer if the parts were stolen?
If the parts were flat out stolen, the computer would not run at all. Laptops NEED everything they have. Extras are cut out to save space and power, so everything in there is pretty critical. Also, getting to parts on most laptops is a PAIN.
How long should you build a laptop before replacing it?
Building computers for 25+ years. Other than the hard drive and memory, laptops have almost no removable parts. If it comes back from the technician with the same size hard drive and amount of memory you started with, you are probably good.
What are the things you don’t want on your computer?
It can also result in a breach of privacy and exposure to other negative software. According to cybersecurity company Kaspersky, things you don’t want on your computer include viruses and all types of malware and spyware. Here are some common threats: Viruses designed to attack your system.
What to do if you don’t trust your computer tech?
If you frankly do not trust your computer tech, just find a new one. Recruit and hire college students. Local and national employers use Uloop to hire college students for part-time and full-time positions. I read this and I laughed so hard….