Table of Contents
What is unknown about the Milky Way?
Nobody knows how much the Milky Way weighs Most of the Milky Way’s mass — perhaps 85 percent — is in the form of dark matter, which gives off no light and so is impossible to directly observe, according to astronomer Ekta Patel of the University of Arizona in Tucson.
What are 10 interesting facts about the Milky Way?
10 Facts about the Milky Way
- It’s warped.
- It has an invisible halo.
- It has over 200 billion stars.
- It’s really dusty and gassy.
- It was made from other galaxies.
- We can’t take pictures of it.
- There is a black hole at the center.
- It’s almost as old as the Universe itself.
What is the most unknown galaxy?
Top 10 Strangest Galaxies In The Universe
- The Black Eye Galaxy (M64) Type: Spiral Galaxy.
- The Southern Pinwheel (M83) Type: Barred Spiral Galaxy.
- Sombrero Galaxy (M104)
- Centaurus A (NGC 5128)
- NGC 474.
- Arp 87 (NGC 3808A/NGC 3808B)
- Antennae Galaxies (NGC 4038/NGC 4039)
- The Porpoise Galaxy (Arp 142)
What are 5 interesting facts about galaxies?
Galaxy Facts: Interesting Facts about Near and Distant Galaxies
- Galaxies can range in size from a dwarf with as few as ten million stars to massive giant galaxies with a hundred trillion stars.
- There are over 170 billion galaxies in the observable universe yet there is also a “future visibility limit”.
Is the Milky Way galaxy unique?
At last we are special by a cosmic standard! That is, we live in a galaxy – our star island, the Milky Way – that is among only four percent of similar galaxies with bright, nearby satellites.
What’s beyond the Milky Way?
To us the Earth seems big, but the Earth is only a very small part of the Solar System. And our Solar System is a very small part of the Milky Way Galaxy. And our galaxy is only a very small part of the whole Universe. The Sun’s position in the Milky Way….The Milky Way Galaxy.
|Common Name||Alternative Name|
|Cygnus Arm||Outer Arm|
What are 3 facts about the galaxy?
10 Interesting Facts About the Milky Way
- It’s Warped:
- It Has a Halo, but You Can’t Directly See It:
- It has Over 200 Billion Stars:
- It’s Really Dusty and Gassy:
- It was Made From Other Galaxies:
- Every Picture You’ve Seen of the Milky Way Isn’t It:
- There is a Black Hole at the Center:
How old is the Milky Way?
13.51 billion years
Astronomers believe that our own Milky Way galaxy is approximately 13.6 billion years old. The newest galaxy we know of formed only about 500 million years ago.
Did you know galaxy facts?
Galaxies rotate faster than predicted based on the gravity of their stars alone. Astronomers infer that the extra gravitational force is coming from dark matter, which does not emit or reflect light. 18. Dark matter aside, galaxies are mostly empty space.
What are some interesting facts about the Milky Way?
Interesting Milky Way Facts: There are more than 100 billion stars in the Milky Way. The center of the Milky Way cannot be seen because it is blocked by a lot of gas and dust. Light takes 100,000 years to cross from one side of the Milky Way to the other. The Milky Way is a part of a larger group of galaxies called a Local Group.
Is the Milky Way an average sized Galaxy?
According to astronomers, our Milky Way is an average-sized barred spiral galaxy measuring up to 120,000 light-years across. Our Sun is located about 27,000 light-years from the galactic core in the Orion arm.
Which galaxy is similar to Milky Way?
The Andromeda Galaxy is the only other galaxy within our Local Group that is similar to the Milky Way—basically, the Local Group consists of the Milky Way and Andromeda plus a bunch of small “satellite galaxies” of each.
Is the Milky Way a constellation or a galaxy?
Milky Way. The Cartwheel Galaxy is a lenticular galaxy and ring galaxy located in the southern constellation Sculptor. The galaxy lies at an approximate distance of 496 million light years from Earth. It is about 150,000 light years across in size, which makes it slightly larger than the Milky Way. The galaxy’s unusual appearance resembles that of ….